Having a dental sensitivity can impact a person’s enjoyment of the finer things in life, such as a great cup of coffee or a bowl of ice cream on a warm summer day. If you are one of the millions of people who suffer from a dental sensitivity you should know that there are reasons for your pain. Some conditions that cause dental sensitivity include fractured teeth, worn down fillings, worn enamel, gum disease, tooth decay and exposed tooth roots. There are treatments for these conditions and include:
· Desensitizing toothpaste: Desensitizing toothpaste uses a compound in the paste that directs sensations away from the tooth after a few applications of the paste.
· Fluoride gel: Fluoride helps sensitive teeth by building up the minerals, therefore strengthening your tooth enamel and blocking the path to your tooth’s nerve.
· Dental work: Treatments such dental crowns and dental veneers all help alleviate tooth sensitivity. They can also treat cosmetic flaws in the tooth as well as tooth decay.
· Surgical gum graft: If you have receding gums that expose the roots, a gum graft will realign the gums back into their proper area so that they protect the root of the tooth and help reduce your tooth sensitivity.
· Root canal therapy: If the other treatments fail, a root canal treatment is sure to remove the tooth sensitivity.
If you suffer from a tooth sensitivity, please make an appointment with Dr. Douglas A Deam at our office in Coral Gables, Florida, today.