Wisdom teeth, or third molars, are the last teeth to grow in. Wisdom teeth can be beneficial, but they often need to be extracted. Dr. Douglas A Deam DMD PA may recommend wisdom teeth removal in Coral Gables, Florida, to prevent the following problems:
- Your jaw might not be large enough to allow room for them, causing them to become impacted
- If wisdom teeth only break partway through the gums a flap of gum tissue may grow over them, which can cause infection
- Infection, damage to other teeth, damage to bone, or a cyst
- Wisdom teeth can come in at awkward angles
Wisdom teeth extraction prevents:
- Back teeth becoming crowded
- A wisdom tooth becoming impacted in the gums
- Red, swollen, and painful gums caused by a flap of gums around a wisdom tooth
After wisdom tooth extraction, be sure to take painkillers as prescribed by our dentist. Relax for 24 hours after treatment. Eat soft foods and do not drink from a straw. Prop your head up when lying down. Continue to brush and floss your teeth during recovery, but be sure to avoid the extraction site.
We welcome you to contact the office of Douglas A. Deam DMD PA today to learn more and to schedule an appointment!